TIME WITHOUT AGE…AGE WITHOUT TIME
Counting on fingers, then on
your toes,
where it will stop, no one yet knows;
A candle here and a candle
there,
first you want more, then you get scared;
Tracking the days, months and
then years,
counting them off like so many beers;
Am I really the sum of those laughs
and loud tears,
the moments of terror, the whispers, the
cheers;
It matters so little the time
of my age,
just like for others, the old and the sage;
I’m certain to struggle, and grapple,
and grin,
I’m certain to worry, and wonder, and spin;
Chasing a shadow, burning the
day,
solving the mystery before passing away;
Time without age, age without
time,
make it the grandest, make sublime;
Here’s where I finish, here’s
where I’m shy,
I can’t give you answers, can’t even say why;
I can’t paint the picture,
nor sing you a rhyme,
I only can wish you so very much time.
For my niece, Emily
With love and
affection,
On the occasion of her
30th Birthday
Uncle Christopher
12-31-2012