Wednesday, January 2, 2013

To Emily, on Her Birthday

Emily,

Emerging from this collection of individual reflections is a celebration-- a celebration of how you have inhabited your last ten years of life. Most of the words on this blog could not have been composed the day you turned 20.

You have lived important milestones these ten years, yes-- graduating from college, getting married, moving to the city-- as well as great sadness. But the themes that emerge here are less about days that were anticipated, photographed, or commemorated. Yet they speak about the most important things, indelible marks you created-- love you have spoken into so many people's lives.

Knowing you as I do, I am sure that as the adventure of your 30's unfolds, it too will be marked by deep compassion, respect, humor, playfulness, creativity, beauty, intelligence and love. I am so fortunate to be graced by these things daily.

Happy Birthday Dear Emily,

Joe